2017-2018 Adelaide Summer League C Grade grand final – Wolves v Blades


Selected photos from the 350 available from the 2nd game of best of 3 grand final series between the Wolves and the underdogs Blades who had come up all the way from the elimination final series.  The teams play in the Adelaide Summer League comprising 10 C grade teams.

The Wolves had taken game 1 to the tune of 4-1, but the Blades were under no illusion that this was going to be hard work and were glad that they had competed in the maximum games in the season they could, ie all the way to the grand final games so were definitely getting their money’s worth!

The Wolves would be led by captain Callam Preece with alternate captains Mark Beckett (also the coach) and Dimity Tubb, and Paul Kluske between the pipes.  The Blades would be led by captain Matthew Steele with alternate captains Greg Campbell and Julian Wragg with Jayde Hodge as their goaltender.

Right from the start the Wolves played an aggressive game trying to intimidate the Blades into defensive mistakes and it wasn’t long before they scored their first goal through Patrick Riley with assists from Scott Curran and Brent Bradshaw.  Even with a tripping penalty to Mat Baschiera at the 12min mark the Blades could not open their account and the score remained at 1-0 to the end of period.  Hodge face 9 shots and Kluske faced 10 shots on goal.

The second period was a tight affair with neither team scoring from their powerplays when Blades’ Philip McIntosh would get called for slashing and Wolves Baschiera for boarding and Michael Boslooper for roughing.  Persistence paid off for the Blades and they were rewarded with a fine goal at 12min 39sec remaining for the period to Adam Bannear assisted by Scott Jacobs. The 1-all deadlock would remain the entire period until with just less than a minute to go Wolves would gain the upper hand and momentum with a goal to Mark Beckett with Curran picking up another assist and this time the second assist to captain Preece.

The Wolves controlled the tempo and added a game decider goal with 8mins to go in the game with the goal scored single handed by Corey van Iderstine. Despite the Wolves being sent to the penalty box 3 times in the period for high stick at 6min 20secs (Michael Coppock), tripping at 51secs to play (Baschiera) and roughing at 9secs to go (goaltender Kluske) the Blades could not string something together and find the back of the net.   Final score 3-1 to the Wolves who took out the Adelaide Summer League winning 2 of the best of 3 game grand final series.