21/07/2018 AIHL Adelaide Adrenaline v Perth Thunder 2-9

Photos from the AIHL game between Adelaide Adrenaline and Perth Thunder played at the Ice Arena, Adelaide on 21/07/2018.  Perth Thunder had been sitting in 2nd and 3rd spot on the ladder for many weeks and last placed Adelaide Adrenaline were desperate to get off the bottom.  Adelaide No.2 goalie Glen Forbes-White had left for overseas so Russell Brewer stepped into the position while Adrenaline’s import goalie Sebastian Andersson was in between the pipes.  Up the other end was Thunder import goalie Peter Di Salvo, a hard man to get past.  Adrenaline were down  a few of the younger players and also their captain Josef Rezek.  Coming into the team was Trent/Reggie Mattschoss.  The first period was relatively tight with both goalies holding firm, until with 2min 5secs on the clock, Thunder’s Jordan Kyros found a way through with passes from Robbie Bird and Andrew Cox.  The two penalties in the period, one to each team had not resulted in a goal.  Shots on goal were 13 to the Thunder to Adrenaline’s 6.

In the 2nd period the Adrenaline’s wheels started to fall off the wagon as the fast paced Thunder upped the ante with 2 goals early in the period to captain Jamoe Woodman (assist from Jonathan Bremner and Tomek Sak) and the super quick and skillful import Pier Oliver Grandmaison (assists from Jason McMahon and import Benjamin Breault).  This appeared to break the spirit of the Adrenaline team who were simply outclassed by a very slick team showing why they had been second best to the CBR Brave for most of the season.  A roughing penalty to Adrenaline’s new boy on the block after a cross check from Thunder’s Bremner at 8:08 didn’t help things.  The Thunder would add another goal to their ever increasing tally through Sak, assisted by Grandmaison and Woodman. With Adrenaline’s Corey Stringer being called for hooking at 3:31 the Thunder powerplay unit made light work of it and Breault would add his name to the goal score sheet, assisted by Grandmaison and Bremner.  The frustration was starting to show from the Adrenaline bench.  Goalie Andersson would need more help from his defence team mates.  Kratoska got frustrated in the dying seconds but he would be joined in the sinbin for his slashing penalty with Thunder’s Simon Kudla for roughing.  With the scoreline at Thunder 5, Adrenaline 0 the latter would need to find a miracle cure to stop the Thunder juggernaut.  Shots on goal were Thunder 12, Adrenaline 7, with the Thunder now having double the shots on goal for the game so far.

The period break offered little respite for the Adrenaline, although it took over 7mins before the Thunder added their next goal from the strong No.1 shift, this time from Bremner with the assists to Breault and Grandmaison.  A very frustrated Adrenaline goalie Andersson left for the bench and Brewer took over in goals.  This appeared to spur on the Adrenaline who managed to put a clever play together to allow Tyler Leeming to get fast the formidable Di Salvo and avoid a shutout score, with his assists coming from stand in captain Ales Kratoska and Steve Best.  However, the Thunder had more in store when Grandmaison would rifle one past new netminder Brewer, ably asssisted by Breault and McMahon.  The Adrenaline would just have to weather this onslaught and regroup for the Sunday game.  The Thunder’s 8th goal would come with about 4mins 26secs on the clock when Cox added his name to the goal scoring list.  The assists were from Bremner and Kyros.  The Adrenaline would redeem themselves a little bit as Harley Anderson found the back of the net, with his assists coming from Caleb Apperson and Leeming.  Thunder’s Grandmaison would score the last goal of the game to score a hat trick.  Breault would add another point to his haul for the night with his assist, as would McMahon.  The Adrenaline had fought back to almpst level the Thunder’s 17 shots on goal, however the total shots on goal for the game told the story, 42 for the Thunder to Adrenaline’s 28.  Final score 9-2 to the Thunder.