06/07/2019 AIHL Adelaide Adrenaline v Perth Thunder 2-4

Selected photos from the AIHL game between the Adelaide Adrenaline and Perth Thunder played at the Ice Arena on 06/07/2019.  The start of the game was delayed due to an issue with the Zamboni so the Atoms U11 team, that will be playing at the Newcastle Atoms Only tournament between 12-14 July, entertained the crowd for an intense 5min game prior to the issue being fixed (refer to separate gallery of photos for that game).  This curtain raiser would hopefully gee up the Adrenaline team for their first home game win.  The Thunder themselves were positioned towards the lower end of the AIHL ladder. They had imports in the giant and imposing Keven Veilleux, Jake Gilmour and goalie Nico Viksten.  Adrenaline’s Alex Gauthier was familiar with Veilleux and Gilmour having playing much hockey in Montreal with them.  Young goalie Jeremy Friederich would be between the pipes for the Adrenaline.  The crowd size would be down as both Australian Football League (AFL) Adelaide based teams were playing in a Showdown game a stone’s throw away at the Adelaide Oval.

The Thunder would score early into the first period at 13:24 with Kieren Webster getting past Friederich after assists from Veilleux and Gilmour. The Thunder would silence the home crowd with a second goal less than a minute later and the home crowd knew they were in for a long familiar afternoon.  The goal came from Ben Breault with an assist from captain Jamie Woodman.  The Adrenaline posted their first goal at the 8:54 mark, when Kiwi-French import Ben Gavoille got one past Viksten with the assists from Steve Best and captain Josef Rezek.  A roughing minor to Thunder’s Veilleux at 5:53 did not result in a score the Adrenaline powerplay unit.  Shots on goal were Thunder 10, Adrenaline 11.

The second period was an even and fair play as both teams defence held. The Thunder could not score during the holding penalty of Adrenaline’s Rezek at 13:21.  The Thunder took until the 8:35 mark to post their 3rd goal through the potent Webster, Gilmour, Veilleux combination.  The score remained at 3-1 for the rest of the period.  Thunder’s Woodman fouled Adrenaline’s hard working Jake Riley on his way towards the goal so Riley got have a penalty shot, but was unable to get the puck past Viksten.  Shots on goal for the period were Thunder 10, Adrenaline 12….the second rare time the Adrenaline have managed to outshoot an opponent.

The 3rd period was very even and both teams behaved themselves (compared with some recent encounters in Adelaide).  A high stick penalty to Thunder’s Woodman did not result in a goal to the Adrenaline.  With about 8mins to play the intensity suddenly increased dramatically as desperation crept into the Adrenaline’s game.  They were rewarded with a goal when Rezek posted a captain’s goal, with the assists from import Ales Kratoska and Alex Gauthier and the small home crowd went wild.  The Thunder would have one last roll of the dice as Breault combined with Woodman to score the safety goal at 3:14.  Thunder’s Jake Gilmour got called for an interference penalty at 2:01 and the Adrenaline threw everything at the Thunder after pulling goalie Friederich at 1:57 to go to have 2 extra attackers.  A late penalty to Adrenaline’s Rezek for slashing with 45secs to play resulted in Friederich back in goals, only to be pulled out again with 33secs to play but the Adrenaline were unable to make use of the extra attacker.  The Adrenaline had peppered the Thunder goal with 18 shots for the period but with no reward.  Final score Thunder 4, Adrenaline 2.  Final shots on goal for the game, Thunder 27, Adrenaline 42!!!